Saturday, October 10, 2020

Fortress Party Retrospective 2004

I don't think I have any video from 2004, so these excellent stills will have to suffice. 

 

Guests came in through the the garage, which was significant only in that it started a trend of using alternative entrances. I'm not sure what were going for exactly here, but I am excited to see my beloved Oldsmobile Eighty-Eight. That was height of luxury until the day I traded it in for $300. 



Most of the Fortress rooms still didn't have themes at this point. Rather, we named them after words that you could find if you looked up Fortress or Maze at www.thesaurus.com. This was The Muddle. I think that's fake snow on my head from another room. 

The couple in the foreground of the left picture, Tracy and Dan Moses, were good buds who I haven't talked to since about the night this picture was taken. I think Dan was reflecting on the end of our relationship, although he may just have been concentrating on finishing a really big jawbreaker. 


There had been Fortress Party theme rooms before, but Everest Base Camp was the first one that was supposed to be set in a real geographic location. We set up oscillating fans outside of the 'tent,' so the walls were constantly billowing.  


Lauren is about 6 months pregnant in this picture. But as you see, all the empty beer bottles are in front of her. The doctors tell us that is why Scarlett is only 5'3".


This room was called Beowulf's Meade Hall. It was pretty half-assed as a theme, but there is only so much you can do with a small unfinished, basement. 

So let's talk about the object in my hand. When I was about 4, we went backpacking on Isle Royale, and I found this moose tibia. Or perhaps my parents found it, but allowed me to believe that I found it. We called it the Battle Bone, and it was a staple of Fortress Party (and our Seder plate) until I lost it a couple of years ago. It has to be in the house somewhere, and I've done several clean-ups and purges, but it never turns up. How does someone lose a moose tibia?

With warmest regards, 
Zach

No comments:

Post a Comment