Friday, January 1, 2021

Sexy With a Little Naughty?

 Dear Friends,

   The Hard Taco song for January started out as "Sexy with a Little Naughty," but ended up as "The Mighty Gar.

   Why the name change? I keep a library of song ideas in the Voice Memos app on my phone. When I come up with a riff, a chord progression, or a melody, I force myself to record it immediately, even if I'm in the car or the bathroom. If I don't, it will be forgotten forever. The iPhone automatically calls them "New Recording," but I use speech-to-text to rename them. These are ideas in their infancy, and I have no idea what the song will end up being about, so I give them a name that describes the musical idea, like "Swingy thing in A" or "Folk chords that sound like the Decemberists," When the phone autocorrects these to "So anything no way" and "Fuck horse to sound like a summer wrists," I just keep those as working titles.

   So in this case, the innocuous "6-8 Melody" turned into "Sexy with a little naughty." I think this was the first time that the autocorrected working title had a legitimate shot to make the final cut. But then Malcolm agreed to help write the lyrics, and the song turned into the least sexy and least naughty thing ever. To the contrary, "The Mighty Gar" is probably the silliest Hard Taco song in years, and that's just what we need to start 2021 right. 

  And now, on with our Fortress Party abstracts and conspectuses. We made it through another three years of Fortresses this month.


2015

Narnia

Oz

Montezuma's Revue

Ann Arbor Street Fair and Civil Disobedience

Disney Big Game Hunting and Theseus Grocery Run

The 4th Dimension of Fortress Party Security

The Blue Man Group

There Studio of Charles M. Schultz's Head

2015 GoPro Walkthrough


2016

Carnevale de Venezia

Beach Party and Hall of Mirrors

Camelton

Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory

Civil War USO Show

The Cull-In Show and Cro Magnon Manor

Post-Op on Pop

2016 GoPro Walkthrough


2017

Valhalla

Moulin Rouge

Cosmos

Scooby Dooby-Doo!

Down the Rabbit Hole

Box Party

Supplement: The Totally Legitimate Backstory of Box Party

Jurassic Top of the Park


With warmest regards,

Zach


No comments:

Post a Comment